Creating a Baidu account can be a long process, but with the guidance of an expert, it can be done fast and without any headaches.
Unlike opening an AdWords account in the West, opening a Baidu account in China is a much harder process requiring a certain amount of legal documentation to appease government censors. The laws in China around advertising are strictly enforced – especially with foreign-owned enterprises.
First, you need to have a business registration license: either a Chinese business license (营业 执照) or an overseas one. Depending on which one you have, the process requires different documentation and initial deposit. If you are looking to register a Baidu account without a Chinese business license, please refer to this article.
Below is an outline of the process if you have a Chinese business licence:
- With your WFOE (Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise), you can opt for opening an account in mainland China to advertise on Baidu;
- Baidu will check your company name and website URL during the ‘evaluation of the website eligibility’ (this process usually takes about 1–3 business days);
- Once the website eligibility has been confirmed, you can gather the required digital documentation and submit it to Baidu (the approval process may take about 1–2 days);
- When Baidu approves the digital copies, you will need to post physical copies of all the listed documents to Baidu (this process may take a few days);
- Transfer the initial deposit to Baidu’s designated account (the length of time will differ depending on your bank);
- Once Baidu receives the deposit, contract, and all other required documentation, they will perform a final review (this will take 3–4 days);
- Upon final approval, your Baidu account will be activated, and you will receive your account password via email to the email address listed on the contract. You can now start creating your Baidu ads.
If you’d like to learn more about setting up a Baidu account with a Chinese or overseas business registration license, download our free eBook: Master Guide to Baidu 2020.